Analytics

Blog Template

Pinterest

May 22, 2013

Wednesday's Child - Hooked on Hooks

Every art has its tools. Crochet has crochet hooks. When I first learned to crochet it was recommended by the store clerks which ones were best to use. The old ladies were surprised to find the hook shapes were changing and always recommended the old, vintage hooks they were using

Whenever I recommend a brand of hook, inevitably I’m always asked, “Why? What’s the difference?  They’re all alike aren’t they?”  Well…no-o-o.   

I’ll start with my favorite brand: Susan Bates. The shape and range of sizes of the Susan Bates aluminum hooks makes them perfect for crocheting for newbies as well as old pros. The shape of the hook is streamlined and comes to a point, which makes it great for inserting through the yarn or thread without catching or snagging. The neck of the hook is steeply angled and the shape enhances the inside of the hook so it’s more difficult to drop the stitch while working. The handle itself is cylindrical with a flat spot for fingers. The size by letter, number, mm, and brand are stamped into the handle as well. 

Boye brand hook (left) vs. Susan Bates brand hook (right)
Boye is another popular brand which can found in most craft stores. This, and most other brands are very similar in shape. The head of the hook is rounder and blunter while it has a more rounded gentle slope at the inside neck of its hook. The Boye hook tends to be slightly larger and has a cylindrical handle with the size, letter, mm and brand stamped in the flat spot. When I have used this brand in the past, I found it difficult to work with. Needless to say, they were unused until I gave them away. I have since heard from others.

Regardless of the brand, the newer steel hooks are all made the same way. Their size and shape are more standardized than in the past, making it easier to use different hooks with the same results. For this reason, I will continue to use the older “vintage” steel hooks as I, too, become one of those “little old ladies.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...