Analytics

Blog Template

Pinterest

May 11, 2013

A Broken Blade

You know how all the sewing experts tell you not to run over your pins while sewing? Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But this time, I was really trying to be good and remove all the pins. Plus I was using a serger, and you kind of have to if you don't want to damage something.

But, as awesome as I am, there was a pin hidden between the layers of fabric I was serging together. I was almost finished with a dress when it happened. BAM! The upper cutting blade snapped and flew at my face (it would have gone right over my head if I'd been sitting) and plunked me in the forehead. It didn't hurt and my ego wasn't nearly as damaged as my blade.

I took to the Internet and tracked down some parts that were supposed to be compatible with my machine and then decided to just wait until the next day to find the parts locally. So I went to bed. I even dreamed about the parts. Weird.

I called a few local shops including one I really dislike dealing with. She quickly insulted me by saying my machine might be considered "disposable" and she might not be able to get the replacement blade. Then she told me it would take an entire week just to research to see if she could get the part. Plus two weeks to then GET the part. I called a different shop and he called his supplier and called me 10 minutes later. He could get but wanted to wait until he put in his next big order.

So I just called Brother, the manufacturer. Why didn't I just do that in the first place? I like to support local businesses and it's nice to get the part you need right away. Turns out it would only take three days to get the part I needed.  And, as a bonus, I ordered a part for my sewing machine that was damaged by a ruffler foot attachment. Now I'll have to try out the replacement foot attachment that Hancock sent me and see if it damages the new part - Look for an update to that post soon. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...