Analytics

Blog Template

Pinterest

March 19, 2013

Sassy and Classy Tutu Dress Tutorial - PART 1: Pattern and Material Prep

The long-promised tutorial for the Sassy and Classy tutu dress. I’ve decided to do the tutorial in four parts since my schedule has started to get a little busier and who wants to read a super-long post anyway. Here’s the timetable we’re looking at:

Right now, it’s all tentative.  I’m going to try to get them up sooner than they’re dated, but I wanted to give myself some time just in case.

So here goes.

**NOTE that you can skip Part 1 if you buy a satin fabric that already has the lace affixed to it. It’s pretty expensive, but it saves a little work. Your choice. I'm more frugal and I like the satisfaction of doing everything myself.


Pattern Prep:
You’ll need a pattern or piece of clothing to copy, lace for the overlay, and satin for the underlayer. Don’t forget your matching thread.


To get the look I wanted for this dress, I used a pattern for a longer, hip-length bodice. You can either go out and buy a pattern that has a bodice like this (like Simplicity Pattern 1724), you can create your own from an existing piece of clothing you already have hanging around, OR if you’re one of those gung-ho people like I can be sometimes, you can draft your own pattern from your kid’s measurements.

Now that you’ve got your pattern figured out, drafted, copied, or whatever, it’s time to cut your fabrics and prepare them for sewing together.

Material Prep:
The bodice of this dress consists of three pieces: one front piece, and two back pieces. Let’s cut these pieces out of the lace and then again out of the satin. If your lace is directional, be aware of how you’re cutting it so it’s going the same direction on all the pieces. Fold your fabric in half with right sides together, lay out your pattern pieces, and cut. You should now have 6 pieces.
All the pieces cut out (including the lining)

Take your bodice pieces and lay them right side up. Now take your lace pieces and lay them right side up on the corresponding satin piece. Head over to your sewing machine and with a long machine stitch, baste those puppies together. I like to do it INSIDE the seam allowance, because I hate taking out basting. There’s no special way to do it. As long as you aren’t stretching either of your fabrics, they should piece together just fine.

A back bodice piece with the lace pinned to the satin. Ready to baste.
Prepared bodice pieces with corresponding lining pieces laid on top.

Now that we have our three bodice pieces prepared,we’re ready to put the bodice together! Check back soon for Part 2!

Anything unclear? Post a comment and I will try to clear things up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...