Analytics

Blog Template

Pinterest

May 18, 2013

Tracing Patterns

I love looking at vintage patterns at the thrift stores, but even though I want to, I usually don't buy them. Why? Because the patterns have usually been cut. And if the pattern's been cut, sometimes pieces are missing. Shame shame shame!

So I trace my patterns. Every single one of my patterns is intact because I make copies of the patterns by tracing the sizes and pieces I need rather than cutting. Then again, if patterns are on sale for 99 cents at Hancock Fabrics, maybe it would be worth the money just to buy multiple patterns for the multiple sizes.

How do you trace it? I've done it at least two different ways, and heard even more suggestions via blogs and message boards for different materials to use. Here's a quick rundown of what I do:

You can:

  1. Lay the pattern tissue on a light colored surface. If the surface is darker colored, you'll have trouble seeing the lines when you're tracing.
  2. Flatten out the wrinkles with your hands by gently spreading the tissue. If you get a particularly reluctant wrinkle, you can wet your finger and press it on to the wrinkle while spreading the tissue. This works well for small wrinkles. If you have lots of wrinkles that really distort the lines of the pattern pieces your using, just iron the tissue on low heat while spreading the wrinkles out. Sometimes, I don't even worry about the wrinkles if they aren't to bad.
  3. Grab a sheet of freezer paper that fits over the pattern piece and trace away, making sure to trace any grain lines, pattern markings, and hem and seam allowances. And don't forget to write the piece number (e.g. #10), pattern number (1792), pattern company (simplicity), piece size (size 8), what the piece actually is (bodice front), and how many to cut (cut 1 on fold).
OR you can:
  1. Tape up your entire pattern tissue on a giant window or sliding patio door during the day, making sure to smooth out your wrinkles as you tape. I'm lucky enough to have a ginormous window.
  2. Trace pattern pieces with freezer paper, or some other kind of large piece of paper that you can see through.


Another method I've heard us taping the pattern tissue to the TV with it on so the light shines through.I've also heard of using the paper that is on the exam tables in doctors offices.

When you're finished with the pattern, take a manilla envelope and store your new pieces in it Don't forget to mark the pattern number and size on the envelope so you can grab the instructions from the original if you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...