Analytics

Blog Template

Pinterest

June 26, 2013

Wednesday’s Child - My Wonderful Family



I had originally promised a friend to post an article about yarn, but instead decided to write about my family.  My mom and dad drove up over 1,500 miles to visit us last week.  They are both 81.  Mom will be 82 in August.  We tried to do everything they wanted to do, all crammed into a few days.  We must have gone to every thrift store in the city as well as some in other towns.

Now, I love shoes.  I torture myself looking at shoes.  I can’t wear most of them but I love trying a pair or two on.  My mom, on the other hand, loves shoes and takes it a step further.  She doesn’t just look at them and maybe try some on.  Oh no…she tries them all on and then walks up to the check out counter with at least ten pairs.  In every style and color of the rainbow.  And that’s just in one store.  She always entered empty handed and walked out with at least two, maybe three, bags full of shoes.  I guess it runs in the family.  My daughter and my oldest grand daughter love shoes too, not to mention hats and bags to match.  As my daughter says, “You can never have too many shoes.”

You should have seen them packing the car for their trip back home.  The car trunk was full, and the back seat of the car was packed to the roof.  If there had been a luggage rack it would have been full too.  Most of the back seat was full of an older wonder horse and fencing for her tomato garden.  The wonder horse was so large and akward, it had to be broken down to its smallest parts, which were still pretty big.  She would have cut the legs off to get the wonder horse to fit.  She almost took a kitten home with her too.  The cat carrier wouldn’t fit in the floor board of the back seat anyway.  My dad, he just smiles and lets her have her way and do what ever she wants.  He always says, “If Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”

It gets hot here in the summer and there is no air conditioning in the old farm house where I live. In the evening, they like to sip on a glass of wine out on the front porch while gazing across the gravel road toward the rolling fields.  The breeze always smells of flowers and fresh hay.  Mom and Dad sit and let their minds wander back on when they were younger and would sit in the porch swing talking with my grandmom and granddad every evening.  All of us young children would play in the front yard climbing trees and playing chase.

The two of them attended my dad’s high school reunion.  He and one other person are the only two left of his high school class.  They were supposed to attend the family reunion, but needed to leave instead.
  My dad promised his doctor he would return by Tuesday.  I would love if they could have stayed.  I love my mom and my dad.  They have so much love to share with ALL family, regardless of who that person is or what someone has done.  I hope to grow up to be like them someday!







8 comments:

  1. That must have been a wonderful week Wendy, enjoy your time with your parents and thank you for sharing your lovely story! Love the pics.
    Glo

    P/S Ya look like your Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post and pictures Glo! I get told I look like her a lot. :) Not a bad thing if I hold my age as well as she does. Should have taken a picture of her over filled car! LOL

      Delete
  2. Yeah you should have...that would have been funny!

    Glo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such as loving and touching post. I love it. Your parents looks soo cute together.
    Thank you for sharing your love ones with us.
    I would have love to see that packed car too. And your dad is right. ."if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see the three of you. You all look so good.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, I lived seeing your parents. Would you give them my love? Margaret Orlowski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! to you and Meg! Hope everything is great with you! I will let them know you said "hello"!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...